Saturday, June 25, 2011

Lemon butter (or curd)

As I seem to have quite a few lemons I decided to have a go at making Lemon Butter (or lemon curd).  I've always known it as lemon butter so that's what I'll call it from now on.

I used to love it so much when my mum made it but I've only ever bought it for myself.  Now I know how easy it is to make then I'm a bit upset with myself for buying it.

This is what you need...

* 2 good size lemons
* 1 cup of sugar
* 50 gms of butter
* 2 eggs, beaten




Zest or finely grate one of the lemons


Juice both lemons and add to the zest




In a double boiler (or a bowl on top of a saucepan) with simmering water in the bottom add the sugar...


... and the butter.  Stir until the sugar is dissolved and the butter is melted.



Then you need to add the two beaten eggs.  I like to pour in small amounts at a time and stir after each addition.  You then need to constantly stir for the next 15 minutes or so until the mixture thickens to the consistency of honey.

Be careful not to let the mixture boil otherwise you'll get streaks of egg white through it.



Once it has thickened then leave it aside to cool.




Pour it into jars and ENJOY!


It's absolutely dELiCIOus and Little Miss R is a bit addicted.  In fact, I had to stop her from putting most of one of the jars on top of her pikelets for afternoon tea.  Not that I blame her as I was tempted to do the same thing.  :)

Enjoy your day everyone.

xx Susan


No comments: